As the Roman Empire expanded, conquered provinces were personified with female figures; a means to establish order and create a sense of unity. Extending its influence northwards, the Roman army eventually crossed the channel to reach British shores. Britannia first appeared on the coins of the Emperor Hadrian over 2,000 years ago.
Restored to British coinage in 1672 during the reign of Charles II, she’s appeared on the coins of every subsequent monarch. Reassuring and resolute she’s a rallying point come crisis or celebration, an embodiment of our national pride. Instantly recognisable all over the world, Britannia resonates with international investors, a trusted symbol of the quality of British minting.
The Royal Mint is proud to present the 2019 Britannia coin featuring Philip Nathan’s classic design. Standing firm in the eye of the storm, she displays an unyielding resolve. Since it was chosen to adorn the very first Britannia bullion coin in 1987, it has been acclaimed as a modern masterpiece.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Monster Box Contains 500 coins. Multiples of 25 coins come in mint tubes and 20 mint tubes inside a monster box.
- Features The Royal Mint’s guilloché obverse design.
- Obverse: Effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 2 British Pounds.
- Reverse: Features the internationally recognized figure of Britannia standing firm against a powerful gale. Her image has symbolized Britain’s strength and integrity on coinage since Roman times. A radial sunburst design behind Britannia adds anti-counterfeiting protection Sovereign coin backed by the British government.
- Sovereign legal tender coin backed by the British government.